HIA Featured Blog: Outsourcing Apprentice Management
Want to employ an apprentice? Let us manage it.
Looking for an apprentice on your own can be a long and challenging process that takes away from your work day. There are a lot of factors to consider, much like hiring new staff.
This is where HIA comes in. We manage the employment of apprentices for you, making it simple and efficient.
You have two options:
- A direct hire- you source and employ your apprentice
- An indirect hire- you employ an apprentice through a Group Training Organisation, like HIA.
What you need to know:
- An apprentice must be registered with an Australian Apprenticeship Support Network provider within 28 days of employment. If you do not register your apprentice you will need to pay them labourer’s rates.
- An apprentice receives the same conditions and entitlements as other employees, such as annual leave, sick leave, public holidays and breaks. Apprentices must be paid for 52 weeks of the year.
- An apprentice must register with an RTO (Registered Training Organisation) such as TAFE.
- Competency-based training and wage progression. An apprentice can start and finish their apprenticeship over a shorter period of time, as long as they can show that they’re competent. As an apprentice’s training progresses, so too does their wages.
So, what are the costs?
- Administration costs related to the management of an employee.
- Recruitment costs such as job ad, vetting, screening, interviewing and apprentice sign up.
- Cost of providing personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Workers compensation.
- Tafe training costs for all prescribed text books and training fees.
Why hire a GTO?
To manage all the issues listed above.
If you want a simple hassle free option where someone else manages your apprentice, HIA Apprentices can help you out. We hire the apprentice and remain their legal employer for the duration of the apprenticeship. And if work falls away, you can return the apprentice to HIA for placement elsewhere.
To find out more on how you can outsource your apprentice management with HIA Apprentices click here